The Baltimore Area Council is proud to be at the front-end of STEM programming. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering and mathematics. We have built a strong tradition over the past two years with events at Fort Meade, Aberdeen Proving Ground, and several other locations across Central Maryland.
The STEM disciplines are considered by many to be the foundation for academic and professional fields of an advanced society. In many forums – including political/governmental and academic – the strength of the STEM workforce is viewed as an indicator of a nation’s ability to sustain itself.
What does this mean? In the Baltimore Area Council, we are working hard to align ourselves with local education and other programs to help enrich the lives of Scouts. That’s at the very core of our mission, and can truly expose young people to another world. Did you know that STEM program has existed in the Boy Scouts of America since the very beginning of our program? Some of the very first merit badges were STEM related; they just weren’t referred to that way. A great example is Computers merit badge which has been offered since 1968. That’s much earlier than computers were adopted in the mainstream, and we have continued to be cutting edge including the recent release of the Robotics Merit Badge.
STEM recognition in the BSA comes in the form of the NOVA award and the prestigious SUPERNOVA award. These awards are presented to Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturers who display knowledge and understanding of STEM concepts through the completion of project requirements. More information can found by clicking the links to the right.
Please keep an eye on the upcoming STEM events located to the right for great information about exciting programs, including STEM merit badge days at Fort Meade and APG, as well as brand new, cutting edge STEM programming at Broad Creek Memorial Scout Reservation in 2013!!
2012-2013 Program Year in Review
The Baltimore Area Council had a great year with STEM events in 2012.
- September – First annual STEM merit badge day at Fort Meade attended by 825 Scouts and parents
- October – Rock the Ridge attended by 5,000 Scout and parents – all participants were able to participate in a variety of stem events
- October – 2nd annual STEM merit badge day at Aberdeen Proving Ground attended by more than 500 Scouts and parents
- November – 1st annual STEM merit badge day at University of Maryland University College with more than 100 inner-city Scouts and parents
- December – Architecture Merit Badge day held for 30 Scouts with American Institute of Architects and Clark Construction
- March - Martin State Airport held the first fully functioning STEM day involving Cub and Boy Scout oriented STEM program.
- April - The Second Fort Meade event went off with over 250 participants. It has now made it's home as a spring merit badge day event.
- June-August - Nova Pin program done for scouts in Oest, Saffran and V-Week.
- September - Amberdeen Merit Badge Day continued for it's third consecutive year with program for Cubs, Boy Scouts & Venturing.
For more information on the BAC STEM program, please contact:
| Upcoming STEM Events |
| March 13th, 2014 || |
Univserity of Scouting Adult STEM training
| March 29th, 2014 || |
Martin State Airport STEM Day for Boy Scouts
| May, 2014 || |
Ft Meade Merit Badge STEM Day
Date is still pending. Please stay tuned!
| May 31, 2014 || |
Martin State Airport STEM Day for Cub Scouts