Internet Advancement allows you to enter youth advancements, awards, and merit badges and perform the following actions:
- Select members from your existing roster,
- Review, update, or add ranks, merit badges, and/or awards,
- Access an online Review Unit Roster feature and the Unit Advancement Summary.
How Internet Advancement Works
The Baltimore Area Council provides each unit with a unit ID, and the unit selects and assigns an adult to record most youth advancements. Information input on ranks will be recorded based on program identification and can only be entered in the correct rank and date sequence.
Awards which can be entered through BSA Internet Advancement do not include nominated awards, such as those for meritorious action, the Eagle Scout rank, which involves a hand review, and awards which are controlled by other organizations, even if uniform wear is approved. Learn more by reading the Internet Advancement Overview.
Using Internet Advancement
- Select the person who will serve as your unit's advancement processor.
- Obtain a unit ID code from the council.
- The unit advancement processor attends the internet advancement training session.
- Gather the needed information for entry of advancement, including unit member merit badge applications and advancement records with dates.
- Access the Internet Advancement site. Follow the instructions to process advancements and print an advancement report.
- Have the appropriate people sign the printed unit advancement report and submit it to the council.
- Save a copy for your files.
- Units should submit monthly, before the last Council Business day of each month, or more often if needed. In December, units should submit a report before the end of the month to update your unit information. This will also aid the council's efforts for accurate end of year information.
Reports Available Via Internet Advancement
- Unit Roster: Your local unit advancement processor will be able to print a unit roster at any time. This unit roster will contain the most current information from ScoutNET, including the membership ID for each adult and youth member.
- Unit Advancement Summary: Indicates the ranks, merit badges, and awards saved in each individual record for the current unit members.
- Advancement Report: Listing of each youth member that has new ranks, merit badges, and awards, if any. This is your official unit Advancement Report that is to be signed and submitted to the council service center.
- Unit Awards Summary: Listing of the number of new ranks, awards and merit badges by name; this makes for a convenient shopping list.
- Advancement Update Summary: Listing of any ranks, merit badges, and awards that were already in the member record and were updated online.